Common Shoulder Injuries and Their Remedies
Duty shoulder injuries, you may feel pain all the time or when you are trying to move your arms. The common shoulder injuries involve problems in the muscles, tendons, cartilages and ligaments. Shoulder injuries are very common as shoulder allows us a wide range of movements of the arm. Because of repetitive and intense work routine developing shoulder pain is of no surprise. The pain may also be caused by accidents.
Instability or impingement of the soft tissues as well as the structure of the bone results in the pain in the shoulder. The pain may at different times of the day or you may feel it all the time. The main target is to find some alternative medications to get rid of the pain or to reduce it to a tolerable limit.
Common Shoulder Injuries and their symptoms and treatments
Before starting the medication, you have to know if you have shoulder injuries or not.
- Can you move the arm freely?
- Is your shoulder stiff?
- Are you feeling normal when you are doing regular works that involve the movement of the shoulder or is it painful?
Some rests and exercises can help you in solving the problem. But some injuries will need special care. The shoulder consists of three bones upper arm or the humerus, scapula or the shoulder blade clavicle or the collar bone. Issues with any one of these can cause severe pain. Let’s discuss those.
If the top of the arm bone is disconnected from the scapula it is called dislocation. Dislocation can occur due to too much pulling or rotation of the arm and the top of the arm may pop out of the socket. With a dislocated shoulder, you will feel pain and weakness. There may be bruising and numbness as well. One of the very common shoulder injuries from falling is the dislocation.
Dislocation or Shoulder instability Treatments
Doctors will place the dislocated ball-shaped top of the arm back into the socket. When the joint is back in its place the pain is also stopped. The whole process is known as close reduction.
Surgical procedure involves arthroscopic capsulorrhaphy. It utilizes sutures to repair the damaged/injured tissue. It removes the instability or dislocation of the shoulder.
Rotator Cuff tear
Rotator cuff is a group of tendons and muscles that holds your arm in position and allows the arm movement overhead. There are four rotator cuff muscles that are very critical to move the shoulder. The problem of the rotator cuff may increase along with age. Shoulder can hurt at night and at the time of throwing or when you are trying to reach something. You will sometimes hear a crackling sound while moving the arm.
Rotator Cuff tear Treatment
Resting, putting ice of the injured place and physio therapy are the some of the nonsurgical treatments for rotator cuff tear. In severe cases, doctors suggest injecting steroids in the arm (after a lot of diagnosis of course). However, in much sever case, a surgical approach is mandatory. It includes removal of bone spur through arthroscopy. Sometimes a shoulder replacement is also required which is known as the reverse shoulder arthroplasty.
For more rotator cuff treatment through surgical approach go to the link.
The joint where collarbone and shoulder blades are getting together is affected due to separation of the shoulder. The joint is known as the acromioclavicular (AC) joint. Any hard blow or fall on the shoulders can tear the ligament holding the joint together. And you will see a bump if your collarbone is pushed out of its location.
For less severe issues some rest and support on the shoulders would do. Along with this some ice to reduce the inflammation will also help to reduce the swelling and inflammation. Over the counter medications and physical therapies also help.
Sometimes these conservative treatments do not work. In those cases, surgeons are also confused about going for a surgery or not. These cases can be solved by either conservative medicines or by surgery. It needs extra precaution to decide what method to be applied.
Surgery is mandatory to realign the damaged or torn ligaments to hold the clavicle in its place and give it a chance to heal. Arthroscopic surgeries are used to align and stabilize the separated shoulder bones.
Mostly due to accidents and heavy fall you may break your shoulder bones. Clavicle (Collar bone) and humerus are most prone to damage. They are situated close to the shoulder. You will have huge amount of pain if collarbone breaks. Lifting shoulder is also difficult due to injuries in the bones. Sometimes surgical procedures are necessary to put the broken pieces of the shoulder bones together.
Majority of the clavicle fractures are cured with rest and by being careful in the movement of the shoulder. You will need surgery if the broken bone has come out through the skin or totally displaced. The surgery involves putting the bones back by means of nuts and bolts.
Like clavicle fractures, proximal humerus fractures can be treated without surgery if it is not dislocated. Rest, careful movement and some medications will give some relief and gradually you will be healed.
Scapula fractures treatments may involve immobilization by a shoulder sling or a shoulder immobilizer. Some medications or injections may be applied. In severe cases surgery is required.
Shoulder Joint Tear
You can damage your cartilage because of some tear on the shoulder joint. It can happen due to some fatigue. When your shoulder undergoes lots of forces or hit hard you can damage the cartilage. Shoulder seems weak. Sometimes you can feel severe pain trying to reach over the head.
Shoulder joint treatment involves anti-inflammatory and non-steroidal medication for pain relief. If surgery is needed then the physician will insert the micro surgical instruments through the small incision of the shoulder. It has some fiber optic camera attached with it.
This can limit your arm movement. In the joint undesired bands of tissues are built up. This bands keep your shoulder from moving freely. You will feel a freezing effect in the shoulder due to pain. According to the characteristics of the stiffness and pain it can be also categorized as adhesive capsulitis. Over the time period the situation of the shoulder can be worsen.
Frozen Shoulder treatment
General medication, steroid injection and physio therapy along with exercise will slowly improve the range of movement of the frozen shoulder patient.
If it does not work the doctor may suggest shoulder manipulation. It involves the use of the anesthesia on the shoulder or using arthroscopic capsular release. In case of shoulder manipulation, you will put to brief sleep and the physician will manipulate the shoulder by gentle stretching the capsule and scar tissues. It increases the range of the shoulder movement. In case of capsular release minimal invasive instruments will put through the shoulder incision. The instruments will allow the capsule to expand and improve the range.
This is also known and rotator cuff tendinitis. Rotator cuff tendons get pinched in the bones. As a result, swelling and pain is there in the shoulder. Lifting your arms too frequently can set off the impingement. Whether you are athlete or a middle-aged person there is a possibility of experiencing the shoulder impingement in some stage of your life.
Complete rest and physical therapies can cure the injury. But it may take weeks to several months to completely heal from shoulder impingement. Many patients get into normal activities gradually with proper treatments involving steroid injections, medicines and therapies.
In unlucky cases surgical treatment is required if the pain is not relieved by the meds and therapies. Doctors may suggest to remove the part of the acromion generally known as the subacromial decompression. Fiber-optic camera is inserted through the small incision around the shoulder to perform the surgery by means of arthroscopy.
Some generalized causes of shoulder symptoms
- Sudden injuries – are the most common causes of shoulder symptoms. Acute or sudden injuries may occur by falling on an outstretched arm. Direct hit on the arm or abnormal fall creates sudden and severe pain. You may feel numbness, weakness on the shoulder, arm or hand. Acute shoulder injuries include bruising, sprains, tendon problems, muscle pull, nerve injuries (e.g. brachial plexus neuropathy), separation, torn rotator cuff, fractures as well as dislocation of the shoulder.
- Overuse Injuries – can grow gradually and you will not have any specific injury in mind. Due to over stressing of the shoulders the joint area of the bones may be injured. The inflammation of the fluid sac that lubricates and protects the joints may get harmed. Overuse injury can cause tendinitis (Inflammation of the ropy fibers connecting the muscle and bone together). Abrasion or inflammation of rotator cuff tenons is very common. Muscle strain and frozen shoulder is also a great possibility of overusing your shoulders.
- Other cause may include muscle tension. Poor posture is another reason. It happens due to not sitting, sleeping or lifting something in the right way. Infection or invasive cancer, osteoarthritis, calcium buildup in the tendons as well as cartilage damage are the other reasons.
Alternative medications for common Shoulder Injuries
Active life, good diet, healthy life style and maintaining rules will help you to remove common shoulder injuries from the root. But if the surgery is not required, merely some home remedies will work as shoulder pain treatment. If you are into alternative medications then this section is for you. I will share some simple home remedies and you will know how to fix shoulder pain without visiting a doctor.
Home remedies for shoulder pain
Sometimes the injury in the shoulder can be so severe the patient cannot bear it and screams in pain. Some people find it so painful that they cannot even comb their hair. So hopefully if you use this home remedy you will get relief gradually. So, let’s make the medicine –
- Take 4 walnuts powder, 2 table spoons of fenugreek seeds powder and half tea spoons carom seed powder. Mix these powders together and take every morning with water before breakfast in empty stomach. It will solve the problem internally.
- After breakfast take one glass cow’s milk and put a pinch of turmeric and boil it. Afterwards when the milk is cooling down, drink it while it is still Luke warm. If possible, add some Ashwagandha powder and honey (If you do not have diabetes).
- Take 50 mgs of rock salt and mix it with some 50 mgs carom seeds and put this a clean cloth to make a bag and heat it. Use this bag to heat you shoulder. It will reduce the sever pain.
- Another remedy involves the ladies’ finger or the okra. Take four okra and cut each okra in 4 pieces. And keep them in one glass of water for the night. And take the water only in the morning without the vegetable.
- Take this one, half an hour after the powder mentioned in the point 1. Take 60 mgs of wheat and keep it in water for whole night. In the morning take the wheat out and make paste, add 30 mgs of poppy seeds and 30 mgs of coriander powder. Mix all these with 250 mL cow’s milk. And boil for sometime and make it thick. Take this thick milk. You will get great relief and feel good.
- Now make a massage oil. Take 100 mL mustard oil, add 50 mgs carom seed and 50 mgs garlic and cook it until the garlic and carom seeds are totally burnt. Use this oil in the affected area 2-3 times a day. This is a great medicine.
You can check the source of the home remedy medicine
You can look at these exercises also that really work. Demonstrated by Baba Ramdev.
Thanks for having patience. Hope will get relief from your shoulder pain as early as possible.
Please Read: Lymphatic Drainage massage system